My Day Was Worse Than Your Day

closePlease note: This post was published over a year ago, so please be aware that its content may not be quite so accurate anymore. Also, the format of the site has changed since it was published, so please excuse any formatting issues.

5:30 A.M.: I wake up and have to pee. The alarm is set for 6, so I go back to bed.

5:45 A.M.: Fuck it, I can’t sleep.

6:25 A.M.: I get out of the shower and start to get dressed. Out the corner of my eye, I notice water on the kitchen floor. Did the cat spill her water? There seems to be an awful lot of it…

6:30 A.M.: I turn on the light and discover that our apartment is flooding. Again.

6:32 A.M.: I can’t deal with it all by myself, so I wake Morah up early – on her day off, no less.

6:34 A.M.: We put a couple of large towels down on the floor to soak up the water. Since this has happened before, I know that the water is coming in through an outdoor storage closet. For the first time since we’ve lived here, the closet is locked.

6:45 A.M.: Morah and I stand in the kitchen and discuss our options. While we’re talking, the power flickers on and off a couple of times, then goes out for good. “You have got to be fucking kidding me,” I say out loud.

6:50 A.M.: I call our managers (who now live off-site, but didn’t tell us that) to tell them about the flooding and lack of power. I am told that the handy-man will be in at 9. Yeah, thanks. And what about the flooding that’s still happening? We’re up to 5 towels at this point.

7:10 A.M.: I leave for work (ten minutes late). There’s still no power, so I have to open the garage door manually, which gets my nice leather gloves all wet and dirty. There’s water in my left shoe.

11:30 A.M.: I come home for lunch and get the final report: the power came back on an hour after I left and the final towel count reached 10. The handy-man had come and used a shop vacuum to suck inch-deep standing water out of the closet. The people who live across from us also experienced some minor flooding.

11:50 A.M.: Okay, time for lunch. What do I want? Nothing. Everything sounds gross. We settle on Subway, but I didn’t really enjoy my sandwich.

12:40 P.M.: Back at work. I feel really tired. Really tired. What’s up with that?

2:45 P.M.: My stomach feels upset, I’m getting a slight headache, my face feels warm, my entire body is achy. Seriously? Yeah, today has sucked balls. Why not get sick as well?

3:05 P.M.: It’s a coworker’s birthday and chocolate-mousse cake is being foisted upon me. Not the tiny sliver I wanted, but, “a man’s slice.” It tastes great, but makes me want to throw up.

4:10 P.M.: I get home and call to cancel my appointment with my chiropractor. I feel like crap and all I want to do is sleep. Instead, I check my e-mail and write this blog post.

Anyone want to stake a claim to having a worse day?

0 People like this. Be the first!


  1. When your apartment is flooding it gets taken care of? I have no idea how many times our managers had to call maintenence when our ceiling was leaking before they finally came out and fixed the problem! Sorry about your crappy day.

    Hope you feel up for Guinness tomorrow night.

  2. LG

    Okay, *I* didn’t have a worse day, but some guy’s roof caved in this morning (I know this because I know the cop that responded to the call). When I said, “That’s a shitty Monday,” he told me that it gets worse; the owner of the house was in surgery at the time, having all ten of his toes removed due to complications from diabetes! Bad, bad Monday.

    It’s all relative, though – sorry your Monday sucked, man.

  3. Warning, C.B.S. ahead:

    I should preface this with the fact that I haven’t really slept in like three days. (It’s really been five, but I did manage to get a little sleep in midway). It’s the end of the world^Wterm here at EWU, so all of the final projects are due at once.

    Last Thursday, I was supposed to turn in my 9-page paper for Software Engineering. I didn’t finish on time. In fact, I didn’t even go to class, because I was still working on the paper. I figured, if I got it done by morning, it would still count, right?

    Friday morning I still wasn’t done. But, if I got it done before Saturday, I could put it in the instructor’s mailbox. That would still count, right? Understand that, at this point, I’m now also late on a paper for Artificial Intelligence.

    Saturday I still work on it. It’s still not done.

    SUNDAY rolls around, and guess what! I have to give a presentation on Monday in Artificial Intelligence, on the paper I haven’t written for that course yet.

    I spend all night working on it. By Monday morning, I’m exhausted as hell, and the paper is still crap, but I have to turn in something because the teacher wants to compose questions to ask during the presentation.

    I send what I have, and head home. (This was all at my office in the CEB). It’s around 10am. I have to go back to school at 5pm, to give my presentation. 7 hours…

    Now, 7 hours of sleep is not a lot, especially if you’ve been awake for as long as I have. But, every little bit counts at this point, so I go to bed. Also, I feel like crap at this point. Something is wrong with my stomach, and I feel like I’m going to lose my lunch at any moment. If I had any lunch. Which I haven’t, because I haven’t eaten in who remembers when? Anyway, back to Dryden, and back to bed.

    Well, it turns out that there’s something wrong with the heaters right by my room in Dryden, and they’re going to fix it TODAY. During the day, when most people are gone to class, which is good, because it’s mostly banging on the pipes, and it’s really loud. So, thank god they’re doing it when few people are around.


    (repeat for seven hour)

    I get back up at 3pm, giving up on any sort of nap. Now I’m even more tired, a state I did not see as even possible earlier. I head back to the CEB.

    And, just to make sure, I decide to check in with the instructor. It didn’t specifically say that we had to prepare a Powerpoint presentation in the project specification, and I hadn’t, I just wanted to make certain that that was OK.

    And of course it wasn’t. I needed to have SOMETHING. But it’s cool, because even at this point, I still have 30 minutes before class starts.

    Or so I thought. Someone reminded me that class starts EARLY today, because of all the presentations. So I rush off to class with my laptop; maybe I can whip something up during the first few speakers.

    I don’t have Powerpoint installed on my laptop. I never dug out my Office installation discs after the last laptop wipe, because I hardly ever use it.

    No worries, though, because I have OpenOffice, right?

    Well, apparently something is wrong with my OO install, because I couldn’t even complete the Title Page without it crashing. And I tried, several times.

    OK, I’ll do it in Writer, and convert to PDF. Practically the same thing, right? The same thing exactly, it turns out, because that crashed repeatedly as well. So, after trying for 25 minutes, I gave up the ghost. I won’t have a slideshow with my presentation.

    Also, somehow I managed to mess up my two-page handouts. Page 1 is stapled to page 1, and page 2 is stapled to page 2. Understand, that the task was “STAPLING PAPERS TOGETHER” and somehow I managed do frell that up.

    Also, I have to pee, and my stomach is still tweaked, and my biggest fear is that I’ll get up to speak and immediately collapse on the floor in a pile of vomit and urine and failure. But somehow, I HAD to give my presentation…

    Which I did, and it’s done, and there’s no taking it back. That’s OK, I have other things to worry about.

    For example, I have Software Engineering tomorrow, and I still haven’t finished that paper…

    Hey, who wanted to sleep tonight anyway?

  4. I spent my day in front of Avid. I spent 20 minutes trying to find a parking spot and spent $1.50 on parking. But I also bought a chunk of ham so that cancels out all the negatives! My day was okay though. There’s a hole under my sink and if I look through it, I can see the downstairs hallway. If I go in the hallway and my cabinet is open, I can see my kitchen. It kind of freaks me out.

    Was the flooding fixed for good? I sure hope so.

    An old pair of shoes of mine had a hole in the sole and I didn’t realize it. I walked to work and my left sock was soaking wet. It was awkward.

    Who’s birthday was it? How did you know what

    time exactly everything happened?

    I feel like I just wrote a blog post in your comments.

  5. It was Jenny’s birthday. And the times aren’t exact; notice how many of them are nice, round numbers?

  6. Wow, you win hands down. Crappy Day winner, you are. Mine was pretty ok. I took my dog for a walk before work and got poured on (relatively rare in these parts) but it was actually kind of refreshing since it was mid-60s. Hope they get the flooding fixed permanently this time. =)

Leave a Reply