Well, this is it! Version 5 of A Life Less Ordinary has officially launched. I hope you’re as excited about the new layout as I am. A few notes about the updates:
- New mastheads! Every once in a while, I’ll put up a new masthead, a la Dooce. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a while.
- Pretty webcam window! The two working webcams have been rolled into one window. You can switch between them by clicking on the “Switch to” link. It defaults to the location where I’m most likely to be.
- A daily links section! The dailies section loads a bunch of great links that I frequent in a random order. It displays five of them, but you can view the entire list by clicking on “(view all)”.
- Kickass date boxes! Seriously, aren’t they cool?
- Five entries on the front page! Back when I had originally set v4, I only wanted the most recent entry to show up. Then it got to the point where, from time to time, I would want to post multiple entries in one day, often on a Friday. Instead of interrupting the Friday Funday, I would just suck it up and resolve to post the next day. Often, instead of posting the next day, I would simply forget what it was I wanted to blog about. That has changed, however; now I can post to my heart’s content.
- Really cool comment preview! You have to try this thing! It’s fun to watch your comment appear before your eyes. Preview is back!
- Significantly improved code! Not only is it better for SEO purposes, but it’s much more accessible as well. It doesn’t validate quite yet, but give me some time and I’ll have it doing that trick as well.
- PHP integration! It’s so liberating to be able to use PHP, especially in conjunction with MovableType.
- AJAX! Need I say more?
I’m sure there’s more stuff I’m leaving out, but I can’t think of it all at the moment. A new design isn’t without some bugs, however. The known bugs are:
- It doesn’t work in IE6. If you try to visit the page with IE6, you get a warning saying as much (although, you can still use the site). There’s simply too much going on here that IE6 can’t handle, and I’m not going to fill my code with hacks just to support such a crappy browser. Plus, Microsoft wants you to update to IE7 anyway (it’s much, much better than IE6).
- Some things are wonky in some browsers. Firefox gets it dead-on (because I designed it in FF) and IE7 does a pretty good job. Safari seems to get it mostly right as well, and Netscape does as well as FF and IE. Opera gets almost everything correct, but has a few weirdnesses.
- The comment preview doesn’t always tell the truth. That is to say, something might look correct in the comment preview, then end up having weird formatting once it’s live on the site. I’m still working out all the kinks and bugs, so if your comment gets mangled, let me know and I’ll fix it.
- The comment pending template is ugly. It’s a CGI thing, not PHP like everything else. It’s a holdover from earlier versions of MovableType. The search page is also a CGI page, but I was able to use a PHP page to integrate the search results into my template. I’m not really sure how I’m going to integrate the comment pending page into my template. Just don’t post spammy comments and you’ll never see it. -)
- The dailies don’t display properly in some browsers. They’re perfect in FF and Opera, but IE7 adds some weird space just before the last list item when you’re viewing the entire list. I don’t know if it’s buggy on any Mac browsers.
There may be other bugs that need fixing, so if you run across one, post a comment here or e-mail me so I can fix it.
Anyway, how do you like the new ALLO?0 People like this. Be the first!