When we got home late last night, I noticed some weird things. First, the porch light was off, which I specifically turned on before we left because I knew it would be dark when we got home. I blamed it on the lousy timer switch (which I hate and can’t wait to replace), but when I got inside and tried to wake up my computer, I found it to be turned off entirely.
“Ah,” I thought, “there must have been a power outage.”
I went into the kitchen and, sure enough, the clock on the microwave was reset. As I was I setting it, the power went out again. Then came back on. Then went out. Then came back.
Instead of bothering with the clocks, I decided to brush my teeth. At that point, the power went out and stayed out. Good thing my toothbrush runs on batteries, right? And we can use our mobile phones as our alarms. And if the power is still out in the morning, we can open the garage door manually. So really, this is more of an inconvenience than a real problem. That’s when Morah pointed out one tiny but critical problem: the heat.
We have gas fireplaces, but without the electric blowers, they only give out radiant heat. Our bed is as far away from the fireplace as it can possibly get, and the master bedroom is cold even with the fireplace on at night. In fact, Morah and I have been talking about using the baseboard heater in our bedroom as it gets colder.
We decided that the best course of action would be to take our bedding into the living room and sleep on the floor in front of the fireplace. If the power didn’t come back on, at least we’d be warm. If the power did come back on, it was no big deal.
Thankfully, the power did come back on and Morah was able to leave for work without my help. Let me tell you, though, the slipcover on the bed was frickin’ freezing when I went back in there this morning.0 People like this. Be the first!