The Real World: Hawaii – Episode One

closePlease note: This post was published over a year ago, so please be aware that its content may not be quite so accurate anymore. Also, the format of the site has changed since it was published, so please excuse any formatting issues.

The people with whom Morah and I are staying have broadband Internet access, so it looks like I will be able to post after all!

We got to the Spokane airport about two hours before our flight was scheduled to take off. You always hear about how security takes forever to get through and is the worst part about checking in. That’s just plain wrong. The worst part about checking in is actually checking in. When Morah and I checked in at the Spokane airport, we had to wait for about ten minutes to be cleared from the no fly list. We’re still not 100% sure what happened as the woman was rather vague about the reason why one of us was on the list. She also wouldn’t tell us which one of us it was. She did tell us that someone with the same name had the same itinerary, so we suspect that because my dad left Spokane the night before to go to Hawaii and I was leaving Spokane to go to Hawaii and we have the same first and last names, the computer found that to be dodgy.

After we were cleared and our bags were checked in, we got through security rather quickly. In fact, we spent most of the two hours waiting at the gate. The plane we were supposed to catch had been delayed because landing in Spokane was extremely difficult as a result of the freezing fog (which had been in town for days!). We were afraid that we would miss our connecting flight to LAX, but fifteen of us were connecting to the same flight to LAX, so I the airline felt compelled to delay that flight as well. Once we got to Seattle, we booked it over to our next gate where, much to our surprise, a guy we knew was working. We got on the plane and landed in LAX around 11:30p. We waited for our bags to come out for the next thirty minutes.

They never came out.

As it happens, they weren’t supposed to come out because they were checked all they way through to Honolulu, despite our having been told that we would need to pick them up in L.A. and re-check them the next morning. The baggage guy said he could go get them, but we decided that it wasn’t worth the hassle

Next we called the Econo-Lodge to get picked up. Never, for any reason, stay at an Econo-Lodge. At least not the one in Inglewood. It was =so= dodgy that we barely felt safe sleeping on the bed. One part of me wanted to scan the sheets with a black light, but another bigger part of me honestly didn’t want to know.

I was supposed to see a friend from high school, but we didn’t manage to make contact while I was there. Perhaps on the way back.

Anyway, the next morning, Morah and I got up super early to get to the airport three hours before our flight was scheduled to leave (I had read online that three hours was the suggested time for LAX). We got there and it was a zoo! There were people everywhere and no one seemed to be sure of what was going on and what we were supposed to be doing. I had Morah stand in the queue while I tried to find a way to bypass the whole mess. I found a woman who worked for American Airlines (our carrier for this stretch of the flight) and asked her about it.

“If we don’t have any bags to check, do we still have to stand in the queue?”

“No, just go over to the electronic check-in behind the escalator. You’re lucky.”

Lucky indeed. I have no idea how long it would have taken to get to the ticket counter, but seeing the queue triple up on itself (once it finally got inside), was enough to make me glad that we opted not to retrieve our luggage. It took a while (there were some hoops that needed jumping through), but we finally had our boarding passes in our hands. We took the lift up to the security area and got in another queue. What we didn’t know at the time is that we had cut in front of about a hundred or so people. But you know what? No one said anything and I don’t feel guilty at all. We had prepared for a three hour wait that, in the end, took about thirty minutes.

Yes, killing two and a half hours is boring.

On the plane there were three little kids in the row in front of us and at any given time, two were sitting directly in front of us (we were on a 767, so it went two seats, three seats, two seats and we were in one of the sections with two). These kids were monsters. They were loud and obnoxious and their parents did little to nothing to prevent it. When we landed, I looked where they had been sitting and was surprised not to find feces. There was stuff all over the chairs and floor and it looked as though someone had opened a bag of pretzels, dumped them out on the floor, and stomped them into tiny pieces. These tiny pieces were also found in the children’s hair. Disgusting? You bet.

So finally, we made it to Hawaii! I don’t have a whole lot to mention about being here right now (most of it would be lost on anyone who isn’t (A) from Hawaii or (B) me. And since I already know what happened…). Anyway, don’t they say that it’s not the destination, it’s the journey?

There is one thing worth mentioning on the blog and that’s that Morah and I are now engaged (no we haven’t set a date. I wish people would quit asking. And despite what you might say, even without the damn date, it’s official). You probably want to know what happened (how I proposed, perhaps?). Sadly, I must reply to you that my fiancee is waiting for me to come to bed (no sex tonight, though. It would be weird considering where we’re staying) and I’ve already written this whole bloody thing (I wanted to make sure I got at least this far). But I’ll make a deal with you. Keep checking for another update and I’ll tell you about it next time. Sound fair? I’ll also tell you more about what we’ve done since we’ve been here (because there are a few things that some people might be interested in).

Warm wishes from sunny Hawaii!

0 People like this. Be the first!

Leave a Reply