The Real World: Hawaii – Episode Five

closePlease note: This post was published over a year ago, so please be aware that its content may not be quite so accurate anymore. Also, the format of the site has changed since it was published, so please excuse any formatting issues.

Ah yes, Episode Five. Wherein Thomas gets sick of writing about the trite crap he did in Hawaii, so he wraps it up in this one.

Thursday. We got up early and went to the USS Arizona Memorial. I’ve been there a million times, but my dad never had! None of us could believe it when he told us.

After that (wow, that was the quickest description of one of our activities yet, huh?) we went to the USS Missouri, also known as the Mighty Mo. She was the ship on which Japan surrendered to U.S. forces in World War II. We bought the $50 Explorer’s Tour and it was =SO= worth it. We got to go down into the bowels of the ship, which is closed off to regular tourists. We saw all sorts of cool stuff and at the end they gave us a meal chit. Dad and I used ours to get chili and rice, while Morah got a big soft pretzel and mum and Ashley got a slice of pizza. I was thinking that we wouldn’t get much food, but the pieces of pizza were huge (at least 1/5 of an entire pizza each!) and the plates of chili had two scoops of white rice =smothered= in nice, hot chili. It was so much food that dad couldn’t finish and I had trouble myself. On top of all of that, all of our meals came with crisps and a drink!

Those two activities combined took up most of our day, so Morah and I dropped my family off and headed out toward Hawaii Kai so we could go to Spitting Caves, a cliff area that Lauren had shown me when we were dating. I had forgotten how to get there, so I jumped on to Google to try and find directions. I thought, “surely someone has posted directions online.” Google gave me almost nothing. I searched for about ten to fifteen minutes and gave up. Then (because I knew it had to be online =somewhere=), I sat back down and started searching again. I used a few roundabout methods, but I was eventually able to find a website that gave perfect directions. No, I’m not going to tell you how to get there. Go do your own sleuthing.

After that, we went to Punahou so I could show Morah where I went to school and so I could see the new Case middle school. Unfortunately, we were running late and didn’t have a whole lot of time (=someone= didn’t want to leave spitting caves…). We didn’t get to walk around much, but I showed her a few key things and we took off.

We had made plans to meet with Joe Aikala (from Episode Four) for a few drinks. We were supposed to meet my parents for dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe only thirty minutes after we met Joe, so I convinced him to meet at the Hard Rock as well. It was good to see Big Joe again and get his… Unique perspective on how North Shore is doing (and the film industry in Hawaii in general). He was also quite pleased to hear that Morah and I got engaged.

And, as if I weren’t popular enough that day, a couple of my friends from high school wanted to meet Morah and I after dinner. So we decided on a location and hung out for a little while. It’s interesting to see how much people have changed in five and a half years.

One of my friends, Guy Wagner, wanted to see Dorm Life (my senior project from college), so we made plans to meet again the next day.

That brings us to Friday morning.

The Honolulu Zoo was our first stop. It hadn’t changed a whole lot since I had last been there, but some changes were apparent. That really old fiberglass lion drinking fountain is gone (the one where you drink out of its mouth; anyone who has ever seen it will know what I’m talking about). That made me sad.

After the zoo, we all had lunch at LuLu’s Waikiki Surf Club, a fairly new restaurant right across the street from the zoo. The food was great and the portions were huge. The atmosphere was also very fun.

After lunch, everyone went their separate ways. My parents went back to my grandmother’s condo, Morah and Ashley went shopping in Waikiki (by themselves. Hmm.), and Guy came and picked me up so we could go back to his house and watch Dorm Life.

It was cool to see his house and his parents again. I hadn’t seen them in =forever= and they were just as cool as I recall. Guy played some of his music for me and I showed him Dorm Life. Then he took me back to Waikiki and I met up with Morah and Ashley.

Thankfully I missed most of their shopping spree. In the time that it took Guy and I to go to his house, watch a few things, chat, and drive back to Waikiki, they had only made it halfway back to my grandmother’s flat.

While walking through Waikiki, I had a celebrity sighting. You know that famous bounty hunter Duane “Dog” Chapman? He was walking down the sidewalk with some chick. I wanted to stop him and ask to get a picture with him, but I was afraid he’d kill me.

That night we went to Don Ho’s restaurant in Aloha Tower Shopping Center. Never eat there. The food was mediocre at best and all of it was =way= overpriced.

Christmas day was fairly uneventful. I got some cool gifts, though. And it’s nice to see that people in my family are also giving Morah presents now.

We spent the day snorkeling and relaxing, then had an early dinner at the Hale Koa (a military hotel). After dinner, Morah, Ashley and I went to The Pearl Factory at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Morah and I went “pearl diving” and the pearl she got was fairly large. The girl that was working there was Latvian and totally hot.

Then on Sunday we left. We didn’t want to leave, but alas, we had to. If anyone wants any tips about where to go while in Hawaii, e-mail me and I’ll let you know about some places I highly suggest.

0 People like this. Be the first!

1 Comment

  1. Top Keywords Used in Google to Find My Website

    Back in September of 2007, I wrote about the bizarre keywords people entered in Google and ended up finding my site. A few days ago, I was poking through my Analytics and found more funny keywords, so here’s another post…

Leave a Reply